Monday, April 2, 2012

Confessions Of A Spray Tan Artist

I never thought I'd make a living staring at nearly naked women and men. But I decided to open my own spray-tanning business to give people that tanned look without frying their skin.  Unlike tanning booths, which offer some degree of anonymity, there's no room for modesty here. Everything's done by hand, so I have to be all up in people's business. Not surprisingly, I've seen and heard things that would make even a bronzed chick's cheeks turn red.  But nothing fazes me.  Most women calm down once they realize how much I'll be able to help them. I can put a tiny triangle above the breasts to create cleavage, shade a bit of darkness under the butt for extra lift, or conceal cellulite by using a slightly warmer color on the backs of the thighs. It's all about subtlety.  As sunless tanning grows in popularity, I see more fake-tanorexics. They've lost their grasp on what looks natural. To them, the darker the better. Let me tell you, it's scary. No matter what your skin tone, you should never go more than two shades deeper. A spray tan only lasts about 7-10 days, and if you're too dark, you'll look like you have dirty, marbled skin when the color starts to fade.  And that ladies and gents is a big no-no!!  Now heres a little FYI for you...did you know that men make up about 15 percent of my clientele? Most of them are straight guys who got dragged along for their girlfriend's appointment and start coming back for their own work. They always want to go superlight, so no one (especially women) will be able to tell. It's a shame they have no sense of subtlety in other areas. Something about being semi-nude in front of a woman on her knees makes most men act like stupid frat boys. Bottom line is I love what I do and I love the people that I meet.   I've got an amazing business that makes women's butts look smaller-how many people can say that?

No comments:

Post a Comment